Permitted Work guidance

Year of Publication: 

The ESA Decisionmaker's guide contains guidance around exempt and permitted work. The guidance is in sections 41186 to 41262 of the guide.

If you’re claiming Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), fill in the permitted work form, attached below, before you start any paid or unpaid work. This should be sent it to the Jobcentre Plus office that deals with your benefit. They will tell you if the work you want to do meets the permitted work conditions.

You could lose your benefit if you do any kind of work that doesn’t meet the conditions. If you can’t send the form before you start work, send it as soon as possible after starting work. If you can’t use this PDF form for any reason, contact the office that deals with your benefit.